Frederick M. Brown / Getty Images file
Andy Griffith was buried Tuesday, less than five hours after the actor died, CNN reported.
Griffith, who was 86, died at about 7 a.m. Tuesday at his home in Dare County, N.C., according to North Carolina’s WITN-TV. Emergency medical crews had responded to a call for help, but no cause of death was given.
His family requested that his body be lowered into a grave on Roanoke Island around 11:30 a.m. ET, according to a funeral spokesperson who talked to CNN upon the condition of anonymity.
"It had been planned for some time," said the spokesperson, who declined to reveal where on the island he was buried. "This was the wish of his family."
It's unusual for a person to be buried so soon after his or her death, Larry F. Stegall, executive director of the state's Funeral Directors Association, told CNN.
Griffith is best known for starring in "The Andy Griffith Show" from 1960-68 and on "Matlock" from 1986-95.
- Ron Howard: What I learned from Andy Griffith
- America's sheriff Andy Griffith dies at 86
- Beyond Mayberry: The roles of Andy Griffith
- Are you whistling that famed theme song?
- Video: Ron Howard: Griffith 'always brought a smile to my face'
- Storify: Videos, fan and celeb tweets remembering Griffith
- George 'Goober' Lindsey dead at 83