The oddball romance “Silver Linings Playbook” has been named best picture at the Spirit Awards honoring independent film, Hollywood’s last pre-game show before the Academy Awards.
“Silver Linings Playbook” led the show Saturday with four prizes, including best actress for Jennifer Lawrence and director and screenplay for David O. Russell.
Lawrence is the best-actress favorite at Sunday’s Oscars for “Silver Linings,” in which she plays a young widow in a new relationship with a man fresh from a mental hospital.
“The Sessions” earned two acting prizes, for lead actor John Hawkes as a man in an iron lung hoping to lose his virginity and Helen Hunt as the sexual surrogate helping him through it.
The best supporting actor award went to Matthew McConaughey as a flamboyant stripper in “Magic Mike.”
- 'Argo' hero: Affleck better thank Canadians
- Film errors: Swearing slaves and more
- Video: ‘Lincoln’, ‘Argo’ expected to win big
- Daniel Day-Lewis is best actor of his generation
- 5 tips for winning your Oscar pool